I think student teaching is kind of like living in someone else's home. In some ways, it's a lot easier - you don't have to pay the bills or do the dishes or take out the trash (unless you're asked, of course). You just generally have less responsibility, but you get many of the same benefits of living in a house.
On the other hand, it can get very taxing living in another person's home because it's just not yours. You may not have to pay the bills, but that also means you don't get to decide how high or low to put the A/C, or what kind of cable package you have. You can't set the tone; it's been done for you, and your mark will be fleeting at best.
All in all, though, I'd say my stay in my mentor teacher's "home" has been a pleasant one. Still, I look forward to striking out on my own, once I'm a little older and a little wiser.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so glad that things are coming along for you and that your student teaching is going pretty well. I can totally identify with your "someone else's house" metaphor with student teaching. Some stuff is easier, but other stuff isn't (I struggled the most in the 6th grade class in which I student taught in discipline and math). It is hard to do something that you don't feel comfortable with doing or that you might feel is just plain the WRONG way to do things. A lot of things you may have to just do are NOT compatible with your teaching style and sense of timing. But I can say that when I had my own classroom, I LOVED teaching math and my discipline worked so much better for me! : ) You can do this!
Post a Comment