So, several months ago we were at ACDA and a friend mentioned that we hadn't blogged in a while. Then a little while later someone else mentioned it. And then I was obliged to agree. Problem is, while school was in, I was just busy, busy, busy. But we're on break now, so here it is - proof that we still exist!
Noteworthy events since the last blog post:
- Kelsey graduated!! For real this time!!
I finished my student teaching at Kofa High School with a wonderful mentor who let me/forced me to teach all of her classes every day from about the 3rd or 4th week of school and even made me enter grades! I don't think I could have been any better prepared for actual teaching than by this experience. It was wonderful to do the majority of the work of a real teacher, but with the constant guidance of someone who's done it much longer.
- Kelsey got a grown-up job.
Because of my wonderful mentor, I got a job right after I got my diploma. Well, technically, I had it before I even finished. It was a very stressful but wonderful semester having my own program. I taught three choir classes, a special ed music class, and (gasp!) guitar. There was a lot to learn, but I had a truly helpful induction program and instructional coach (which is rare). Not to mention a very supportive administration (also rare).
- ACDA in Chicago
Through Brent's work, Kelsey's mom, and some careful money management, Brent and I both managed to attend the ACDA convention in Chicago where BYU Singers was performing. It was a wonderful trip full of friends and good music. And we got to stay with Brent's sister and her family, which is always a blessing. So much love.
- Brent got offered his job again!
Brent's position was a one-year temporary position, as the piano professor who was on Sabbatical leave had requested to become the choral/vocal professor upon her return. For whatever reason, she decided not to come back, and so they have appointed Brent to his position again for another year. Next year they will have to do a full search, and Brent's lack of a DMA may be a hindrance, but he will most likely also apply to DMA programs and other jobs. Because of this, I will be staying at my job again next year. I'm really excited to stay with my program.
- Fertility treatment
Many of you know that we have been trying (unsuccessfully) to have children for over two years now. We finally decided that we were financially and emotionally stable and insured enough to start going to the Doctor. He decided to put me on Clomid and says I've responded well to it, but as yet still no bundles of joy are expected. However, our chances of having twins have gone from next to nothing to about 7%. We're not sure how to feel about this... (secretly I think we're both excited by the idea - well, at least I am!! Make up for lost time!) But in any event, if you don't hear any announcements soon, it's not because we don't want kids. However, I am finally learning to appreciate the blessing of being married without children and really enjoying our marriage. :)
- Trips!
We've gone on several mini-trips this year, one on Spring Break to California to see Brent's dad and go to the temple, another to Vegas to see my family who were in town from upstate New York, one to visit our friends the Hills in San Diego, and we're leaving tonight to again visit Brent's dad and to see our friends the McClellans for the fourth. Our biggest trip, however will be a road trip to Minnesota. Yes, we're driving. All 32 hours of it. With the dog... We'll stop in Denver to see the Bishops, and stop in Vegas on the way back to see my brother. And in between we hope to spend lots of quality time with Brent's family and friends. And weather that is at least 30 degrees cooler. No joke.
- Sum up
We have been really blessed this year. We both are employed, a HUGE blessing that never goes unnoticed; we have managed to pay most of our bills mostly on time (thanks to tithing and generous families), in spite of still owning our house in Vegas and not being able to rent it; we have visited people we love, and made new friendships that are already very dear to us. Our ward is wonderful, and Yuma is about the friendliest place I've ever lived (except maybe for Provo, but there's a lot less flirting here). It is ridiculously hot here, for a ridiculously long time. I may be from Vegas, but even there it cools down in October. Here we were still over 100 well into October. But the winters are delightful, if lacking in essentials (like snow). So things are not perfect, but they are very, very good, and we're grateful!
Pictures coming soon... (the one up top is us at the Botanical Gardens in Balboa Park in San Diego).
6 comments:
Hooray! An update! Love you both and post more pictures and updates soon, please!
I know that your Denver schedule is probably all booked up, but if you have time we would love to see you too!
Yay!! I was so happy to read this little update on your family. You are both doing some wonderful things. And I'm sure that many of your blessings have come because you have been a blessing to people around you :) I'm so glad you are staying involved in music teaching! I would love love LOVE to still be involved in music myself. Miss you bunches, Kelsey dear.
So glad to hear how you're doing! I'm so glad you're getting the chance to teach. I got to teach for 2 years and I loved it and learned so much. Now I'm in the kiddo years, and it's good in a whole new way. I hope you'll have little ones soon. But I'm grateful you're happy with life now, that is the way to live. I'm still working on that one myself.
Excited to see your blog update. Hope you are loving your road trip.
Hooray for you! Sounds like things are going well! Love you!
Post a Comment