Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Insanity Ensues

Holy cow, has it really been nearly three months since last we posted? I think we have a good excuse...

We live in Yuma now! Someday I'll have to take the time to write the entire saga, but suffice it to say, I was completely and utterly fed up with my administration last year. To give you a flavor for the kind of environment it was, I'll just say that the situation was so bad at one point, and I was so upset by everything that was going on, that I could hardly sleep or eat for a week--a week! I never have trouble eating or sleeping! I lost five pounds that week. Not that I couldn't stand to lose a few more, but not that way!

So I submitted my resignation and started hunting for jobs. I've been picked up by a little community college in Yuma called Arizona Western College. I say little, but it serves about 13,000 students anually and has so far impressed me as a fine institution. The position is a one-year temporary one, but there may be a possibility that I could continue after this year. I'm still not sure whether or not I want to; Yuma is a bit small for us, and community college is not exactly the place where I plan to spend the rest of my career. But the college is a great place to work (we have a 4-day work week--no classes on Fridays!), and I'm happy to be here. I see it as a real godsend, especially considering the state of the economy and my lack of D-R-period. (Dr.)

As think back, I'm actually impressed that Kelsey managed to post at all in June! She was nannying for two darling girls that we'd adopt in an instant if we didn't love their mom so much. I was spending much of my time at home and should have posted, but I was busy recovering from an awful year of teaching. Incidentally, although I am not particularly well-suited to teaching middle school, I would have continued had it not been for my administration. But that's a story for another time.

So here we are in Yuma. We're very happy with it so far. As I said, it's a bit on the small side for us, but big enough to have everything we need. There's even a Target! We were very happy about that. The musical community is small, but there is a great appreciation for the arts here, so there is a lot for us to do. Kelsey is teaching voice lessons. I've lost track of how many students she has, but I think it's about a dozen or so. She's also doing her student teaching and finishing up an online English class, so don't be surprised if she doesn't post for a while. There's also a high school here in town that is currently without a choir teacher, so we're hoping she might be able to take that position starting in January. We shall see.

Still no luck for us on the baby front. We want to get in to see a fertility specialist to see if we can figure out what's going on, but our insurance doesn't cover anything related to fertility. Kelsey needs an exam anyway, so hopefully the doctor can help us find ways of figuring out what's going on without spending too much out of pocket. We especially need to minimize our expenses, because our house in Las Vegas isn't selling, so we're currently paying rent and mortgage. Hurrah! But we feel blessed that we've been able to keep up with our financial obligations so far, and we trust that we will contintue to be able to do so. If not, foreclosure isn't the end of the world. I guess...

Well, I hate to end on a sour note, but I don't really have any more to say. We really are doing well, in spite of our challenges. Heavenly Father continues to bless us and lead us, and we keep doing our best to trust in Him. He hasn't led us astray thus far!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your house hasn't sold! That is frustrating!!!

So glad to hear that you are liking Yuma (or at least better than your previous situation). I still cross my heart every time I see an Arizona license plate.

We love you guys and are praying for you!!

The Figgins said...

Good Luck with tiling this weekend and I hope you find a good OB/GYN who's willing to try to help you all find a way to see what's going on cheaply. Love you!

Ross said...

Brent,

My family's thoughts are with you. I can't believe you are in AZ! Yuma, *snort* wowza! Congrats on getting the position. The economy is tough, and the arts are even tougher! We'll keep praying for you guys! Where are you going to be for Thanksgiving time? 'mail me

emily michelle said...

Glad to hear that Yuma is working out for you guys! Good luck with everything!