Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hope

This Mother's Day was a tough one. Church wasn't even that much about mothers, but I expected it to be, and so it all was to me, anyways. We missed talking to Toby, and though Mom did, it was a hard talk for them, since my parents will officially be divorced as of tomorrow. I think realizing that may have pulled me out of the denial stage. However, my brother's email to us from his mission yesterday was entitled Hope.

Hope, as I understand it, is a feeling of assurance that God's promises will be fulfilled. It is preceded by faith, since without faith in God's love, mercy, and integrity, it would be impossible to trust that "all that is unfair about life will be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ" (Preach My Gospel, paraphrase). But I'm sure it will. Interestingly, yesterday was the birthday of a sweet little girl at work we'll call Angelcakes. Her mom brought us all cupcakes on her lunch, and she and I got to talking. I discovered that she has seven children - one adopted, six foster, and she has so far fostered twenty children. That got me thinking - what if this is what this time in our lives is for? I have learned a lot about dealing with children - difficult and otherwise - and a lot about myself since starting work at a daycare three weeks ago. And I think Brent and I might have what it takes to be effective, loving, and compassionate foster parents. We're far from deciding that we will take that path. We first have to see what our circumstances will bring us in the months ahead, but the thought of bringing children home to love - it brings me hope.

3 comments:

The Figgins said...

Mother's Day and Father's Day are always hard for me due to my issues with my parents. I'll tell you what I was feeling good Sunday about being a mom soon but I still can't get through "Families Can Be Together Forever" without crying a bit for my own situation with my parents

Kelsey said...

Thanks for telling me that, Jill. I really appreciate it. I'm so sorry for your losses - we feel them, too. But yay for your little boy!!

Unknown said...

you would be an amazing foster parent. I'm sure that you could show love to your foster children in a way that even their parents would not be able to.
I don't know a lot about foster parenting, but I have heard of about 6 examples where couples start adopting/fostering because they don't have children of their own, and then all of a sudden they are able to conceive! The Lord really blesses us for being humble and accepting our circumstances as they are.