Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On faith

Well, life has thrown us many curve balls since we've moved to Vegas. My parents' divorce will be final within the month, I expect. That's been the biggest one. For details on the others, you'll just have to talk to us.

Sometimes people say, "Be careful what you pray for." I think it's true. God knows when you're serious about growing, and He sees to it that it happens when you ask for it. Around the time Brent and I got married, I saw a picture of the First Presidency on the cover of the Ensign. I remember thinking to the Lord and myself, "I want to be like them." I remember the Lord whispering to my heart, "You know what that means, right?" Images of painful life trials, of hours of tears and hard perseverance flitted through my mind. I replied, "Yes, I do, but I want it anyways." I knew the Lord would make me into the strong woman and righteous daughter I so desperately wanted, and want, to be. At the beginning of the year I set one personal New Year's Resolution - to strengthen my faith in the Savior. It seems every time I pray for greater faith, another trial, or another form of a trial comes my way, or our way. And yet, I am learning that the Lord is so close. His promises are so fair, so beautiful. The scriptures can lift me up out of this world and remind me there is a far better, more peaceful green country, and it is not so far off.

"For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee. O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted! Behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colors and lay thy foundations with sapphires. I will make thy windows of agates, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all they borders of pleasant stone. And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. In righteousness thou shalt be established; thou shalt be far from oppression and terror, for it shall not come near thee.... This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord." - 3 Nephi 22:10-14 & 17 (Isaiah 54)

For nothing greater can I hope. And in Him, I do hope.

1 comment:

Andrea Teague said...

Kelsey, I love you! Thank you for that message, it was beautiful. You are a very strong woman and a role model for me. Let me know if you need anything. *hugs*